If you are experiencing pain right at this area while you are running and sometimes it travel up to your leg then you most likely suffers from what we call Posterior Tibial Tendonitis.
This problem is commonly seen in runners or hikers.
This muscle is located in the deep compartment of the lower leg, and is a key stabilising muscle of the ankle, supporting the medial arch of the foot.
So what causes your muscles to start hurting?
- Incorrect technique used over a period of time (running or hiking)
- Flat Feet; People who suffer from these problems either have flat feet to begin with or develop a flat foot if this issue is not properly fixed and it can lead to multiple other ankle injuries when left untreated.
- Weak ankle stabiliser muscles– because the ankle stabiliser are weak they are unable to cope the the amount of load that you are trying to put them through with your activities hence they started getting injured
- Weak Calf muscles;The bigger muscles group are suppose to do most of the work such as running or long distance hiking however if they are weak, your stabiliser muscles will have to do dual task both stabilising the ankle joint and also helping to do the actual movement, so inevitably, it gets overworked leading to injuries
How to fix it?
- Hence to go about fixing this problem we first need to correct your technique
- Then we need to improve your flat feet issues
- Strengthen your injured ankle stabiliser muscles (Tibialis Posterior)
- Strengthen your calf muscles so they are strong enough to do the activities you want them to do!
Here at Capital Physiotherapy, our physiotherapists are the experts in helping you to fix your ankle issues as well as all the discomfort that comes with it!
Want to know more about Melanie – Our Hawthorn Physiotherapist?
Our physiotherapist, Melanie Lim, has a Bachelor of Physiotherapy Graduate from the University of Melbourne.
With her wealth of clinical experience – in both public and private systems, Melanie is contactable at Capital Physiotherapy’s Hawthorn Physio clinic to provide you with the best physio treatment in the Hawthorn and for the surrounding suburbs.
At the Hawthorn physio clinic, Capital Physiotherapy offer bulk billing for their patients. Get in contact with Melanie today and book an appointment for a one on one session with her!She has completed advance training to specialise in a range of physical therapy treatments such as sport, dance, pre and postnatal, and dry needling. With a keen interest in treating and educating her clients (and YouTube audience), she aims to create custom pain treatment management plans for the Hawthorn community, and Melbourne at large.
We also provide Telehealth Consultation for your safety and convenience during this pandemic.
Keeping in mind these tips/advice are of general nature and do not take your injuries/history into considerations. If you are experiencing any pain or would like an individualised tailored program to help improve your dancing, I highly recommend you speak to any one of your physiotherapists to guide you through your rehab journey.
Here at Capital Physiotherapy, our women’s health physiotherapists are the experts in helping you to fix your issues as well as all the discomfort that comes with it!
We can help you lead a healthier and pain free lifestyle.
Our physiotherapist will be able to give a full assessment on you and come out with individualised advice/ treatment plan that is tailored for your particular needs.
At Capital Physiotherapy, your initial appointment is 40-60minutes long. This allows our physios to be thorough in their assessment, as well as giving them enough time to give you treatment on the same consultation!
For any physiotherapy related concerns drop us an email [email protected]