It’s a brand new year, and you’ve vowed to sign up at a the local gym or join your friend who has been nagging you about starting F45 (and actually attend regularly).
But if you’ve never been a member of the gym or F45 (or any training group) it can be a confusing and intimidating place and therefore you bow out before even setting foot in the door for the first time. Lets get you started!!!
Now before you do undertake any fitness program especially as a newbie I highly recommend consulting a health professional such as a physiotherapist (physio).
Physios can help you get started by designing exercise programs which suit your personal capabilities/limitations.
An assessment by one of our skilled physio’s here at Capital Physiotherapy will provide you with a safe and effective program. This assessment will make sure you don’t injure yourself at the gym by going too hard or improper technique.
Our physiotherapists can also help with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Without a doubt you will experience this. Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed exercise. The soreness is felt most strongly 24 to 72 hours after the exercise. There is evidence that massage post exercise reduces DOMS.
Gym Do’s and Don’ts
- Don’t be a hero and try and lift too much – you will either injure yourself or be so sore from DOMS you will never want to return. Leave your ego at the door.
- Do go in with a plan (a proper program and diet)
- Don’t have unrealistic expectations (you will not be an ADONIS in 2 weeks) good things take time.
- Do return your weights once you have finished
- Don’t drop your weights
- Do wear deoderant (no one likes a smelly person working out next to them)
- And finally enjoy yourself you are embarking on a life changing journey.
If you would like a consult with one of our physiotherapists give us a call or use the online booking service.