If you have tight hamstrings, you’re not alone! Unless you have a regular stretching practice as part of your workout routine, odds are you can’t touch your toes.
But why are they tight? And what can you do to help loosen them up so you aren’t getting so much carry-over tension in your low back?
For a lot of people, this is the mindset, but no matter how much they stretch those tight hamstrings, there is no significant change. Unfortunately, fixing tight hamstrings with stretching is not that simple.
Your hamstrings are a group of three muscles running down the backside of your legs that connect your “sits bones” at the bottom of your hips (the little bony protrusions you can feel underneath your butt when you sit in a chair or on the floor) to the top of your calf and shin bones.
- Most people with constant feeling of tightness in hamstring has what we call neurological tightness
- It’s a perceived tightness caused by your brain due to lack of stability around our hip and knees area
- So even though then you do the hamstring length test you do not have tight hamstring you still feel as if your hamstrings are constantly tight
- To fix these issues here are some of the strengthening exercises you can start doing
Tightness, or even the feeling of tightness, in the hamstring can be influenced by a number of factors:
- The muscle actually being short to the point where the muscles fibres aren’t long enough causing a restriction in movement.
- Weakness in the muscle can cause the muscle to go into a protective spasm, tighten up and feel stiff.
- A muscle, which has recently been exercised or worked, will hold extra muscle tone and therefore a slight restriction in movement.
- A muscle that is being overworked, due to weakness in another muscle will become tight.
Keeping in mind these stretches are just the basic exercises that we start off with to fully fix your hamstring discomfort you will still need to continue to progress to harder and more functional strengthening exercises in order to feel pain free while working. You will also need to find out the root cause of the issue to fundamentally fix it once and for all.
Here at Capital Physiotherapy, our physiotherapists are the experts in helping you to fix your hamstring issues as well as all the discomfort that comes with it!
We can help you lead a healthier and pain free lifestyle.
Our physiotherapist will be able to give a full lower limb assessment on you and come out with individualised advice/ treatment plan that is tailored for your particular needs.
At Capital Physiotherapy, your initial appointment is 40-60minutes long. This allows our physios to be thorough in their assessment, as well as giving them enough time to give you treatment on the same consultation!